Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 1 - 4

I have completed my first four days in the pastry kitchen...and I am exhausted! But I am also elated. I am in pastry boot camp and loving every single second of it.

Walking into the school on the first day was...well...it was scary! This is the Princeton of culinary schools and everyone is there to be the best of the best.  I was so nervous and anxious to start my studies that my uniform was starched to the point where I was not sure I could move, and I had about 20 pens and 3 notebooks.  For those of you who really know me, I have never necessarily been the stellar student.  So my level of preparation can only speak to how excited I was to begin this incredible scholarly adventure. 

After successfully finding my way through the many (confusing) hallways to the locker room, and sloppily dressing into my uniform (I had no clue if my apron went over or under my chef jacket, never mind what the heck I was supposed to do with the necktie) I ventured into the student lounge to meet my other equally-confused classmates.  "Do we put our hats on now? Did you bring your own knives? Do we really have to wear these pants?"  My only internal reactions to these questions were: Thank God I am not the only one that is freaking out. 

Chef Mike started the first minute of the first day off with an obvious zest for cooking.  Every flick of a wrist, slice of a knife, and placement of a product was an inspiration to even the most novice of student-chefs. We were introduced to Chef Jeanne (the assistant chef), the ins and outs of a professional kitchen, how to work as a team, our own personal chef kits (which was a brand new bag of every tool you would ever need and more!), and all of our ingredients. I could not wait to get started!

While I thought perhaps the first day would consist of a 6 hour lecture, the next thing I knew I was beating my pate sucree in preparation to assemble my apple tart.  At this point I realized that I was in the presence of the geniuses of the pastry world as well as the 19 other students aspiring to be just like them.  In other words...I was in heaven!

I will be trying to blog everyday, but here are some pictures of my first 4 days as a student of the French Pastry Arts:


First my chef jacket (so exciting!), my Tarte aux Pommes (apple tart), my Tarte aux Bananes et Creme (banana cream tart), my Tarte aux Fruits Frais (fresh fruit tart), and my Tarte Bourdaloue (poached pear and almond tart). 

Also a picture of Chef presenting his Tarte Bourdaloue, as well as Chef and Chef Jeanne doing a demonstration.






Bon Appetit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment