Monday, December 13, 2010

Two weeks and two tests down!!

Hello all!
So I have survived my first month and first two tests! A bunch of my classmates and I studied together and I can speak on all of our behalves by saying we were very nervous.  But I guess that just goes to show how much we all care about what we are doing.  I had to make the apple tart, mini clafoutis, and spritz cookies and I, as well as the chefs, were quite pleased with my work! Stay tuned for a picture of my final products....
We completed our pâte à choux unit which included such pastries as éclairs, Paris Brest, profiteroles, cygnes (swans), and gâteau Saint-Honoré, all pictured below. The Paris-Brest  was created in the late 1800's to commemorate the famous bicycle race that went from Paris to Brest and back to Paris, which explains the circular shape. It is filled with a praline based pastry cream and is positively delicious! The gâteau Saint-Honoré is named after the patron saint of pastries! The cake is made up of some of the most difficult techniques; the choux balls have to be consistent sizes which represent your piping skills, the choux itself has to be delicious and tender, the caramel has to be the perfect color without over or under cooking, and the cream is a mixture of pastry cream and Italian meringue, both of which illustrate challenging techniques.  Many years ago, this cake was used as an interview tactic.  When a young pastry chef applied for a job in a kitchen, the head chef would say, "Make this and perhaps I will hire you!"



We finished of this unit with the beautiful croquembouche  which, although is the traditional French wedding cake, we had creative license to make it our own. Chef Michael's was beyond impressive:
But I was quite happy with mine as well :)
Our class displayed a selection of ours to show off in the hallway:
"There is just something for you to choux on" :)

Stay tuned for puff pastry pics coming soon!!


No comments:

Post a Comment